Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Know yourn own body

Hello People!!

How is every one of you doing?  I am doing well.  But I am finding it to be super cold even for early Fall.  The funny (not funny ha ha, but funny ironic) thing about cold is that it causes my pain to be even worse than it normally is.  On a scale of 1-10 I hurt about a 4 all the time.  When it is cold it increases to about a 7 or an 8.  This means an increase in pain medicine.  Woo hoo!  Not!

I share this with you because of something a Dr. said.  He said, "I can't believe you have as much pain as you say you do.  Well, I know what I physically feel.  In addition to what I feel, all the research I have done has shown that even though my cancer has shrunk, all the little micro fractures that it has left in my bones cause pain and bone weakness.  Which is why the oncologist gives me xgeva to strengthen and protect my bones from breaks. Simply speaking, the little buggers are fragile and weak, duh!

Please don't let a Dr, nurse or any other person tell you that what you think or feel about your care, what you are feeling or suspect is going on in your body.  I bet most of you discovered your own cancer.  You  probably pursued a diagnosis.  Even if your doctor a test they ordered discovered and diagnosed your illness, please don't let a medical professional talk down to you about something you suspect is going on with your health.  No one and I mean no one knows you and your body better than you do.  So many people are treated as though a symptom (such as fatigue) is a matter or age, or lifestyle or it is all in their heads.  OH THAT BURNS ME UP!  All in their heads!!!  Oh grrrrr.  You know what tired feels like, and if you are fatigued it is so much different than tired.  You need to trust yourself and make your Dr. listen to you.

You are special! You matter!  Your worries and concerns are valid and mean something.  Be forceful and get your point across.  In some cases, it could be a matter of life and death.  My mom ( an R.N. for all of her adult life) used to say the only difference between a Doctor and God is that God knows he isn't a Doctor.  Get it.......?

Anyway, it is important to know your body.  It is also vitally important to trust your instincts.  Don't let others treat you like you are a hypochondriac.  If you believe you have something wrong in your body, pursue it vigilantly.  That my friends is the best unsolicited advice I have for you or anyone who will listen.

Thank you for stopping by,

Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment