Sunday, May 8, 2011

Beauty lessons my momma taught me.

People, on this beautiful mothers day 2011, I want to honor all the beauty tips that my mom has given me through my life. 

Walk- walk every day.  My mother walks every single day at least a mile if not two.  She is healthy and happy at the ripe young age of 80, so that walking must work.

Sun screen- Mom is the one who taught me how important it is to wear sun screen.  If not for her, I would never have used a moisturizer with spf anything in it.  Boy has it helped.  Not a spot on my face to be found that can be attributed to sun damage.

Moisturize-  I never understood why she put cream on her face when I was a child.  As I became a teen I followed her example, morning and night.  Now I am 45 and people can't believe that is my age.  Moisturize!  It will keep your skin healthy and young looking.

Drink water- mom is a nurse and she used to say we should drink 6-8 glasses of water a day.  I really try to do that living here in Texas.  A person can dehydrated so easily here.  So, I drink at least 6 glasses of water a day.  It helps to have a bottle of water to take with you on busy days.  This is one time I encourage drinking.

Fruit- Eat fruit every day.  Especially fruits high in antioxidants.  Such as blueberries and strawberries.  They leaving you feeling full, and they are great for your skin, hair and nail health.  Breakfast is a great time to remember to eat fruit.  It starts your day with a healthy and fun to eat meal.

Quick side note on fruit- recipe for healthy breakfast shake given to me by my mom.

A cup full of berries
A cup of soymilk, chocolate or vanilla
A small handful of walnuts

Add a little bit of ice and blend all together in a blender.

This is a protein shake.  The walnuts give it a rich flavor and add protein and omega 3 fatty acid.  You may need to buy extra large straws to drink this as it blends up thick.  Or you can eat it with a spoon. 

Sleep- get at least 8 hours of rest a night.  If you are unrested your body will start to show it.  Dark circles, fatigue, dull hair, and skin.  Make your bedroom peaceful and pleasant to sleep in.  Don't allow distractions to keep you from sleeping well.  If your computer or tv are there and they keep you awake, move them!

Most important!!!!

Family- spend time with your family.  This is where you will be able to laugh at yourself and at them.  Laughter is healthy medicine.  Plus you will feel great that you are keeping and building bonds with the people who know you best.  People who have close family ties do not suffer from depression as much as people who are isolated from family do. 

This is the most important lesson that mom taught me.  But it isn't beauty related.  Here goes:

A car is for getting you from point a to point b.  It doesn't have to be fancy or special, it just needs to work.  ( this is what she told me when my boyfriend,  (now hubby) and I got stuck in a ditch four wheeling my subaru in the middle of the night.  Love you mom, now I tell it to my kids. 

Thanks for stopping by missditz-thebeautifullife.com

Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment