Monday, May 9, 2011

Metastatic breast cancer treatment

in a nutshell- the HER2 test was negative.  This is a good thing.  It means that my cancer will not grow as rapidly.  I still have what is called metastatic breast cancer stage iv.  This has involved my bones in my right arm, my pelvis, my lungs, and the lymph nodes in my right chest wall. 
On Thursday I will attend a class to give the surviving chemo info.
On Friday I will begin chemo with some strong drugs.  One is named taxol and the other is named avastin.  The avastin has some nasty side affects the will require me taking a strong dose of steroids the night before. This will help to prevent some of the side affects and reaction to the polyoxyethylated castor oil, which is an additive in the taxol. 
I'll have one 4 hour treatment every friday.  On one friday I will have taxol and avastin, the next just avastin, and the the next both drugs again. 
the side affects of both these drugs are:
taxol-Neurological tingling or numbness of the hands and feet and some blurred vision and headaches, vomiting was noted on both drugs, hair loss, fatigue, mouth sores, brittle nails, muscle aches and bone pain.
avastin-kidney problems, hair loss, high blood pressure, nervous system disturbances such as headache, blurred vision and confusion.

I won't get all of these side affects but I will for sure loss my hair and have pain and fatigue. 
I won't get into how many years I do or don't have.  Only God knows.  There is an average stated on most literature, but my doctor and my family are moving forward just knowing that I will live with this for the rest of my life.  That we will be together and we are warriors. 
My mood right now is sad, and very resigned to the information that I will be taking this for a yr.  If I don't do well on it they will change my treatment.  As a family we are trying to be positive and go through this time while living our lives as normally as possible.  Basically we will continue our lives as we accept cancer into it as a new normal. 

Please keep Mo, Eric and Anna in your prayers.  Also be praying for my mom, Rose. 

I love you all very much and deeply appreciate your thoughts, prayers, notes of encouragement and emails. 

Thank you,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment