Monday, January 10, 2011

Trends for 2011

Boy was I wrong. My people. I must begin this post with my head hung low and a deep abiding apology rolling off my tongue. Here I was going to write to you a long post telling you what all the experts have to say about what you should be wearing in the year ahead. Telling you what you should look like while wearing your makeup. For instance, should you have thick brows or thin brows, dark shadow/light? Or dark lips or gloss? Then I was going to talk about what the experts say you should wear. Oh, this Spring you should wear long skirts instead of the short short skirts that have been worn in the season from the past. Then I was going to talk about what they say about hair. Oh don't even get me started on the hair!! Then a stroke of sanity hit me. I realized that along with being the consumers, WE are the experts. I mean really! Have you ever watched a fashion show with a model toddling down the run way with a space craft strapped around her waist? Do you ever see that translate into public sales? No I say! Because, it is pure fantasy. No sane person would ever in their right mind wear that.

My thought on this is that we the consumers should decide that in truth we are the experts. Since we know our bodies and our lifestyles, we should set our own trends for ourselves. You know how recently I suggested that if you don't like something about yourself you just change it. Hair color comes in a box, so you can change that. You don't like your close, you can change those one piece at a time. Your hair style, you can always go to a hair stylist and looks through books and magazines and have a nice long consultation.

Really the point is that you decide. You must become bold and start shaping yourself into whom you want to be. Not who the experts tell you you should be. Now that is not to say that you shouldn't take their advice. They are experts after all. If you should hear a piece of advice that resonates with you take it. You find something you like here, a piece of advice there. Then you continue something you are already doing and mix in a few new ingredients and low and behold you have a new trend. Ta Da! And you did it with out shoving yourself full boar into a whole look that someone has told will be a trend. Trends come and go, but classics last. Be a classic. Build yourself, be yourself, and have fun!

Thanks for stopping by the Beautiful life,
Leslie

No comments:

Post a Comment